My second-chance career: how one nurse conquered stigma to return to practice
How to restart your career after long illness – Hannah MacDonald explains how she reclaimed her profession, uses lived experience to enhance care and can offer hope to others forced to take time out from nursing
After spending several years on and off as a mental health service user, returning to a career in nursing felt unattainable for Hannah MacDonald.
But in March 2020, at the start of the pandemic, she started nursing again, at a hospice in Harrow, London, working two 12-hour shifts each week. ‘Palliative care was something I wanted to go into originally. Coming back, I was able to return to the part of nursing I’d always been drawn towards,’ says Ms MacDonald, who qualified in 2006.
‘At that time, hospices didn’t
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests