Keeping community nurses safe from harm
Lone workers in community settings can be vulnerable to abuse. Dean Gurden looks at how to mitigate the risks and keep these people safe
In 2015, an RCN survey of more than 1,300 nurses working in community-based roles found that 48% had been subjected to some form of abuse in the previous 2 years.
And almost one in ten respondents said they feel vulnerable some or all of the time.
So what can be done to mitigate the risks for lone workers in the community, and what policies and guidance exist to protect them?Regulation and advice
The NHS lone worker guidance and the...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests