Charities offer a rewarding career
Making an impact in an area of health care that you are passionate about is the ideal for many nurses – and charities can help to make it a reality
Mesothelioma UK is one of many UK charities that provide money for specialist nursing posts. Currently, it funds 14 nurses, who are employed by trusts to support those with this rare form of asbestos-related cancer for 2 days each week. ‘It enables nurses to become experts in a niche area,’ says Liz Darlison, the charity’s director of services and a consultant nurse at the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust.
Formally registered as a charity in 2008, the organisation has been funding part-time nurse specialist posts since 2012, with the eventual aim of doubling the number to 28. ‘We want to see every region of the UK covered by a specialist nurse,’...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests