Care home tutor helps overseas nurses join UK register
A care home in Yorkshire is giving lessons to nurses from outside Europe who are working as carers to help them pass tests in English and nursing competency so they can achieve UK nurse registration
Foreign nurses working as carers at a nursing home in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, are being given lessons by their employer to help them achieve UK nurse registration.
‘They have lots of skills, but aren’t allowed to use them. They were frustrated and found it hard,’ says Krishnapillai Sivanandarajah, manager at Berwick Grange, a 52-bed home for people with dementia and one of 90 homes run by Methodist Homes for the Aged (MHA).
Annual appraisals of the seven staff members, who are from countries outside the European Economic Area and are registered nurses in their home countries, showed they were all keen to progress but...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests