Policy adviser: case study
Profile: Sarah works as a policy adviser for an independent health care company, ABC Health Care. Due to the nature of Sarah’s role, she does not deliver direct patient care, however her advice and knowledge affects all the patients treated through ABC Health Care.
Sarah has held her position for four years and is due to renew/revalidate. Although there are other nurses in her organisation, her boss is not a registered nurse.
Sarah wants to know:
Do my hours count towards practice hours even though I don’t deliver direct patient care?
Sarah’s hours as a policy adviser are valid practice hours as long as her registration is necessary for the work she does.
My appraisal is done by my boss, who is a business manager, not a nurse or midwife. How do I get confirmation?
Sarah can get confirmation from her line manager...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests