A CPD article improved Anita Skinner’s knowledge of how transformational leadership can improve staff development and patient care
What was the nature of the CPD activity, practice-related feedback and/or event and/or experience in your practice?
The article examined the concept of transformational leadership and discussed its potential to improve healthcare organisations by engaging and empowering their staff.
What did you learn from the CPD activity, feedback and/or event and/or experience in your practice?
The article described several leadership styles that nurses might use, such as transactional, transformational and laissez-faire approaches.
In the past, I have used the ‘laissez-faire’ leadership style, which is characterised by a passive and ‘hands-off’ approach. However, I learned that while it is initially regarded as empowering, this style can lead to low productivity, with managers expecting staff to solve issues without guidance or support....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests