Altered body image
A CPD article improved Rose Gallacher’s knowledge of how to manage patients with altered body image.
What was the nature of the CPD activity, practice-related feedback and/or event and/or experience in your practice?
The article discussed psychological support for patients with altered body image resulting from illness, injury or disability. These changes may affect appearance or function of the patient’s body.
What did you learn from the CPD activity, feedback and/or event and/or experience in your practice?
The article described body image as comprising of three concepts – body reality, body ideal and body presentation. It emphasised that body changes that affect one of these areas are likely to affect the others, and can lead to lower self-esteem.
Patients with altered body image may need to progress through the different stages of grief and/or loss, including shock and...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests