Take the time to offer patients reassurance
Senior staff nurse Donna Cutler puts compassion into action by giving her patients time to discuss concerns, says Melissa Cuevas, pre-assessment ward and outpatient manager
Watching Donna care for an older woman who was due to have surgery demonstrated how she puts care, compassion and thought into her work. The patient and her husband were anxious about the procedure at BMI St Edmunds Hospital, and Donna picked up on this.
She put extra time in with them at the initial appointment, going through everything that the operation would entail. Then she followed up with a phone call a couple of days later to make sure they were feeling comfortable, and then on the morning of the surgery she spoke to them and checked they were being reassured. It was the way Donna found...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests