Practice nurse who tended my husband’s wound impressed us
Practice nurse Suzie Matthews stayed late at work to ensure Maureen Brown’s husband received the best possible care for a painful wound
My husband Michael had a tumour on his leg just below the groin. It had burst and was weeping and needed dressing, but I had been told I should not touch it. At the time we did not know if it was malignant or not.
For a month I took him to see practice nurse Suzie Matthews at our local GP surgery in Rugby. Suzie cleaned his wound and dressed it every day, sometimes twice a day, because the tumour was in an awkward place and the dressing would come loose and fall off now and again.
On more than one occasion Suzie stayed to see my husband in the evening, when she should have already...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests