‘Nurse who believed in me helped me piece my life back together’
Simon Peacock, who was seriously injured while serving in Afghanistan, talks about his ‘miracle’ nurse Diane Palmer, who was among those honoured in the RCNi Nurse Awards 2017
While serving in the Royal Anglian Regiment in Afghanistan in 2007, I was seriously injured by friendly fire. I have been left with significant physical and psychological injuries from the blast.
Before I met Diane Palmer I felt that no one cared about me or what I had suffered. I was pushed from pillar to post, and referred to various professionals.
My paperwork was lost several times, professionals didn't follow up referrals as they promised, and I was labelled as having nothing more than ‘an adjustment disorder’. This ignored the...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests