My daughter’s nurse gave our family truly personalised, kind care
Lesley Chan describes the difference specialist respiratory nurse Joanna O'Toole has made to her daughter Amélie and their whole family
Jo O’Toole was the specialist respiratory nurse for our daughter Amélie, who has CHARGE syndrome, for several years. She gave us truly personalised and kind care.
Many times she stayed for hours after her shift finished to sit with us and provide comfort and compassionate care. We were never made to feel rushed.
Jo, who worked for Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital, was always positive and kept me positive. She provided some adult company in an often lonely world with frequent admissions.
She always included and asked about Amélie's three siblings, but more importantly remembered their stories and journeys – she would ask for updates...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests