Readers panel: Should postgraduate nursing bursaries be treated as a special case and retained?
The Department of Health and Social Care has confirmed that bursaries for preregistration postgraduate nursing students will end this summer, mirroring the existing situation for undergraduates. Nursing Standard readers have their say
Liz Charalambous is a staff nurse and PhD student in Nottingham @lizcharalambou
In short, yes. Bursaries for undergraduate nursing students should be brought back too. Society needs nurses, and we must invest in and support those who want to pursue a nursing career. This short-sighted approach is harmful, not only to our profession but to the health of the nation. Many potential recruits are not entering nursing, likely due to fears about the financial burden, and if hospitals and nursing homes end up closing because of a lack of nurses it would be a tragedy for us all.
Grant Byrne is a nursing...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests