Readers panel: is the NHS heading towards another Mid Staffs-style care scandal?
It has been four years since Sir Robert Francis’ report on poor care at Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust. Some experts fear current pressures mean the NHS is at risk of a similar crisis. Nursing Standard readers have their say
Drew Payne is a community staff nurse in north London @drew_london
It is a miracle we haven’t already had another Mid Staffs. The NHS is at breaking point, and as a community nurse I regularly see the effects of this. Hospitals are under so much pressure to ‘free up’ beds that patients are being hurriedly discharged without the right resources or support. It is only the hard work and dedication of NHS staff, who are going without breaks and staying late after shifts, that has stopped it...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests