Nursing associates and assistant practitioners: let’s end the needless rivalry
These nurse support roles are similar but different, and deserve equal respect
In the red corner we have the nursing associates. In the blue corner… the assistant practitioners.
Will the nursing associates have what it takes to knock the assistant practitioners out? Or will the assistant practitioners hold their ground?
I’m joking, of course, as both roles are valuable assets to the healthcare team and should not be in competition with each other. But not everybody sees it this way.
Tensions in the workplace as assistant practitioners feel undermined
The introduction of the nursing associate role has caused tension in the workplace, with some assistant practitioners feeling their role is being undermined.
The assistant practitioners were first out of the gate. As a band 4 role, this was...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests