A marathon runner and fitness fanatic who had never smoked, Karen was thriving in her job, travelling around the world to meet famous people. ‘You have cancer’ was the last thing she expected to hear.
In Breathing Out, Karen reveals her struggles with the language barrier and unfamiliar French health system with an honesty that is prickly and playful in equal measure. Her experience is shared in a vivid and affectionate manner, and her attitude is realistic yet hopeful. Her feelings seep through every page.
This extraordinarily brave memoir highlights the indiscriminate nature of breast cancer, and Karen’s capacity for humour and charm throughout her experience is inspiring.
If you have ever cared for patients with cancer, many of the words you read will be familiar. Prepare to find yourself laughing and reaching for a tissue on the same page.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests