Book review: Tender is the Scalpel's Edge
★ ★ ★ ★
This collection of stories from the journal of an NHS surgeon covers many years and locations as the author trains as a doctor and works in various roles in the NHS.
The style of writing can be a little too wordy at first but is easy to read with colourful descriptions are colourful and relevant details. The descriptions of places, people, colleagues and growing up in India take the reader on a delightful journey.
Though the author's field was urology, not all the stories within the book are about that speciality. Each of the 21 chapters depicts a patient episode or a health care situation and occasionally switches between the author's work and home life. An underlying theme is the experience of the health care system from the perspective of the patient and their families, some of them realistically heartbreaking....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests