App Review: Cigbreak Free: Game to Quit Smoking
★ ★ ★
Created by a games developer, this is touted as the UK's first smoking cessation app in the form of an interactive game.
Developed in collaboration with doctors and smoking cessation experts, it aims to be fun for smokers, encouraging them to quit while promising game rewards, which are delivered alongside educational messages.
In the style of another game, Fruit Ninja, users try to break virtual cigarettes in half within a time limit in order to pass each level. It reinforces their motivation to quit by tracking how much money they could save by not smoking.
When the game was introduced users were asked to make a payment after completing six games, but the new version is free if the user’s public health authority has commissioned it. The app has already been commissioned for use in several London boroughs including Kensington and Chelsea, Hammersmith...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests