App review: BW Story App
Created by Books Beyond Words, this app uses pictures to tell stories that engage and empower people with learning disabilities and communication difficulties.
It presents short story scenarios, each between two and nine pictures in length. The nine subjects cover experiences such as going to hospital, having a relationship or agreeing to an operation.
Nurses and healthcare professionals can help clients create their own story from the pictures.
The app has been created with the help of professionals and tested with people with learning disabilities.
A free version of the app is available on the Books Beyond Words website and users can subscribe to access the entire library of 1800 pictures and 400 short stories.
As it covers sensitive subjects such as violence, abuse, sexuality and death and dying, it is recommended that children and vulnerable adults are supported when accessing...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests