Nursing during Ramadan
As the month of Ramadan begins, nursing students Zahid Iqbal, Aatikah Kaba and newly qualified nurse Amina Norat reflect on what last year's fast meant to them and how they combine religion with their practiceZahid Iqbal
Currently, I am on my final placement with Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust and this is the second time I have been on placement for the duration of Ramadan.
This year brings the advent of the longest fast in Ramadan for at least the last 30 years. Ramadan is a month in the Islamic calendar where Muslims fast without food and water between dawn and sunset.Dawn and sunset
So considering that fasting at the moment means a staggering 19 hours, what’s it really like fasting and working? As a student nurse on placement, fasting brings about its own set of challenges but frankly,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests