What you need to know about the opt-out organ donation system
The implications as England joins Wales in adopting presumed consent for organ transplant after death
On 20 May, the Organ Donation (Deemed Consent) Act 2019 comes into force.
This means that England joins Wales in having an opt-out system of organ donation rather than an opt-in system.
When an individual’s organs may be used after death
The difference between the two is that an opt-in organ donation system requires a person to actively state that they wish their organs to be used after death. The presumption is that unless they opt in,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests