What should I eat before, during and after my night shift?
Nurses know healthy nutrition and hydration can be hard to achieve when working nights – read practical advice on curbing cravings and making healthy choices
How many nurses work night shifts?
Some 3.25 million people in the UK work night shifts, according to a 2019 analysis by the Trades Union Congress .
Care staff (432,000) account for the majority of night workers, followed by nurses and midwives (232,000).
How can shift work affect my
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests