Why I decided to quit my nursing course
Overwhelming stress prompted Kirsty Sartain to quit her nurse training, a decision she is still struggling to come to terms with
Kirsty Sartain made the distressing decision to quit her nursing degree course amid money worries, an exhausting schedule and a lack of support to cope with the stress she was feeling.
‘Leaving the course was the hardest decision I have ever had to make, it was devastating,’ she says.
Ms Sartain, who was 27 when she started her nursing degree course at Staffordshire University in 2015, dreamed of becoming a Macmillan nurse after caring for her grandad, who had terminal cancer.
‘Any day off I managed to get would be spent in tears on the sofa, completely exhausted’
Her bursary payment just covered her rent,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests