There’s no such thing as a textbook heart attack

Nurses need to know the truth about myocardial infarction – it could save patients’ lives
Picture shows a woman holding her shoulder to ease pain. The article stresses the need to raise awareness about coronary heart disease and heart attack, including gradual onset myocardial infarction, so that people know what symptoms to look out for.

Nurses need to know the truth about myocardial infarction – it could save patients’ lives

There’s a common misconception, fuelled by the media, that a heart attack is always a sudden and quick event – but this isn’t the case.

A gradual-onset myocardial infarction (MI) can happen over the course of several hours or days.

A study published in the European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing found that 57% of patients reported abrupt symptom onset, the remaining 43% experienced gradual symptom onset.

Some remain symptom-free until it’s too late

Coronary heart disease, the major cause of heart attacks, which is caused by atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries, takes many years to develop.

Many people


Want to read more?

Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today

Save over 50% on your first three months:

  • Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
  • Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
  • RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
  • NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
  • Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests

This article is not available as part of an institutional subscription. Why is this?