Presenting yourself as ‘just a nurse’ gives the wrong message
Nurses need to better convey the critical nature of the profession and its impact, and can make a start by adding RN after their name
The Queen’s Nursing Institute (QNI) started a movement on Twitter to encourage all registered nurses to include ‘RN’ in their Twitter handle.
It has been hugely successful, with most nurses in the QNI network now including RN and other professional qualifications after their name.
The inspiration for this was a book by Suzanne Gordon and Bernice Buresh called From Silence to Voice: What nurses know and must communicate to the public , which explores the consequences of presenting ourselves as ‘just nurses’.
Reality of registered nurses
The authors look at how the language and...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests