Janet Finch: We must find ways to make nurses stay in the profession
The number of nurses leaving the register is a worrying trend for our health and care workforce. We must make plans to improve retention, says Janet Finch
Last November, we published data showing, for the first time in recent years, a significant decrease in the number of nurses on our register .
The principal cause was more nurses leaving the register before normal retirement age, with worrying trends among European Union and UK-qualified nurses.
Drawing on a variety of data, reports from other organisations – including NHS Digital, Health Education England and the RCN – paint a similarly concerning picture about the health and care workforce.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests