Jane Cummings: Dispelling myths of what it means to be a nurse
Nurses and midwives are highly skilled professionals who touch every corner of healthcare. By supporting the Transforming Perceptions of Nursing and Midwifery campaign you can help people better understand what we do, says chief nursing officer for England Jane Cummings
One of my priorities at my last annual summit was a campaign to tackle the myths and stereotypes linked to what it is to be a nurse or midwife.
Many people believe nursing is a vocation, but nurses and midwives are highly skilled professionals who use expert knowledge, clinical skills and compassion to care for and support those in need.
Nursing is not just about handholding or being a ‘doctor’s handmaiden’, but this is often overlooked. We need to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests