It’s fantasy that a fully decriminalised sex trade protects women
Legally sanctioned brothels only benefit the pimps, says nurse and campaigner Ellen Grogan
The RCN’s May congress in Liverpool will vote on a motion calling on the college to lobby politicians to decriminalise prostitution. Here, campaigner on the issue Ellen Grogan argues against a fully decriminalised sex trade.
The RCN is at risk of being hoodwinked into supporting the full decriminalisation of all aspects of the sex trade, on the false premise that it makes the industry safer for the women and girls (and sometimes men) involved.
Why sexual health nurse Louise Cahill hopes RCN congress will back her call to support the full decriminalisation of prostitution– click here
The reality is that nothing can make prostitution...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests