End of life care: my experience as a nurse and daughter
Nurse Alison Woods describes her contrasting emotions during her mum's final days
A phone call transported me from a career break abroad with my husband and young family into a state of fear and vulnerability when I heard my mum was seriously ill.
I travelled home to England and was soon within the familiar walls of Warrington Hospital, where I had been born, trained as a nursing student and visited on numerous occasions through mum’s long illness.
‘I was aware that other patients and visitors were around, but was unable to contain my emotions’
A rerun of our life together played out in my mind like an old film and I felt a sense of panic that this might be the last instalment.
Mum was alert, but unable to talk to me...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests