Amanda Cheesley: Help yourself but ask your employer to look after you too
A series of crises and losses in her personal life put RCN professional lead Amanda Cheesley under enormous stress. She got through it with the support of her employer and by relying on the people and strategies that boost her resilience
Over the past four years I have looked after my younger sister while she was dying from breast cancer, then cared for my oldest friend before her death from the same disease. I also had two sudden bereavements – an old friend who died from sepsis and my cousin from a catastrophic brain stem bleed.
This while working full-time and having an elderly mother living at home. The love and support of my husband, friends and family, as well as my work colleagues and manager, made it easier to cope with the stress.
Many people I know are juggling family...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests