Social care needs NHS-style funding model, urges RCN activist
A funding model similar to the one that created the NHS is needed for social care in the UK, a nurse said.
Audrey Simpson of Greater Glasgow RCN branch proposed a motion calling on the RCN to lobby political parties for a ‘fair and sustainable funding for social care’ at the annual congress in Belfast.
‘We are an ageing population, so the number of individuals requiring complex social care will continue to increase,’ she said.
‘Unlike healthcare, social care is not universally free at the point of delivery, so care is means-tested and funding varies across the four countries.’
Complex, vulnerable and frail
Ms Simpson added: ‘It is imperative all political parties stop playing games and set aside partisan views – we need them to have the guts...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests