Nurses providing chemotherapy face health risks, academics warn
Website launched to highlight the risks healthcare professionals face when providing chemotherapy to patients
Nurse lecturers have launched a website to highlight the risks healthcare professionals face when providing chemotherapy to patients.
The nurse academics from Birmingham City University (BCU) are calling for the mandatory use of closed system drug transfer devices to minimise the risk of nurses being exposed to potentially dangerous cytotoxic medicines during the chemotherapy treatment process.
This would prohibit the transfer of environmental contaminants into the therapy system and prevent hazardous drugs or vapour concentrations escaping.
Links to training advice
Featuring links to clinical evidence, advice about training and education, as well as news about meetings and events, the website also provides case studies of where healthcare providers have introduced closed systems to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests