Shake-up of flawed pay bands system could make it quicker to get to the top
The third of our series of articles setting the scene for the 2018 negotiations on nurses’ pay looks at anomalies in the Agenda for Change system
- Negotiations seen as chance to fix increments and overlaps in pay bands
- Treasury preference for performance-related pay could demotivate staff, unions say
- Staff side wants a system that rewards skill, competence and experience
Now that exploratory talks on changes to nurses’ pay have begun between nurses’ unions, employers and government, a multitude of options and potential outcomes are emerging.
One area on which nurses’ representatives would like to reach agreement is updating the Agenda for Change (AfC) incremental pay point structure .
The total number of pay points in the nine Agenda for Change
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests