Presents from patients: when is accepting a Christmas gift not allowed?
Patients may want to show appreciation, but there are rules about gifts to staff
- According to the NMC code nurses must refuse ‘all but the most trivial gifts, favours or hospitalities’
- Different employers and organisations may also have further policies on accepting gifts, and nurses who do not follow them would be in breach of contract
- What to say when a patient offers a gift you cannot accept, including directing them to charitable trusts
Christmas is a time for giving, but when it comes to gifts from patients, the festive season can pose some challenges for nurses.
While some patients will want to give gifts as a genuine token
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests