Nursing at work, caring at home: advice, tips and your workplace rights
It’s tough coping with loved ones’ needs as well as a demanding job – but flexible working and a supportive workplace can make all the difference
- Thousands of nurses quit work every year because of the burden of family responsibilities
- As a nurse, you may feel imposed on by relatives who assume caring duties come more easily to you
- Real-life survival tips and flexible working suggestions from nurses who broached the issue at work
Almost one in seven nurses missed work in the past 12 months because of caring commitments at home, a Nursing Standard survey suggests.
Nurses have taken time off to care in the past 12 months
(Source: Nursing Standard well-being at work survey 2019)
And the burden of family caring can be greater for nurses...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests