EXCLUSIVE: The short staffing that is threatening patient safety across the UK
Nursing Standard-Sunday Mirror survey results add weight to case for safe staffing law, says RCN
Thousands of UK nurses say there simply aren't enough staff where they work to provide safe care.
A nursing workforce survey by Nursing Standard and the Sunday Mirror has highlighted serious safety and patient care concerns in the profession.
The survey results add weight to what the RCN and many nurses have already stated – that inadequate staffing is a threat to patients and damaging to nurses, yet it is now a daily reality all over the UK.
In total, 3,100 nurses responded to our survey. While a majority were in England, all parts of the UK were represented. Most respondents worked in the NHS.
Three quarters (76%) told us they don't have enough staff to provide safe care, more...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests