'Telehealth is patient empowerment in action'
Cathy Gillespie leads a telehealth service that has helped thousands of patients manage heart failure, diabetes and COPD in their own home
As a senior nurse with many years of experience, mostly in general practice, Cathy Gillespie admits to having been a bit sceptical about telehealth at first.
Surely the essence of nursing is being face-to-face with your patient, not sitting in an office perhaps many miles away? And how would patients – many of them elderly and vulnerable – cope with the demands of new technology? ‘I didn’t really see how it could work,’ she says. ‘I didn’t learn that until I came into the job.’
Now, as the team leader in telehealth at Liverpool Community Health, Ms Gillespie is an enthusiastic convert. ‘People talk a lot about...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests