Obituary: Dr John Adams
Dr John Adams, who has died aged 63 after a long illness, was one of the outstanding healthcare academics of his generation. Former colleague and friend David Lewin pays tribute to one of nursing's most highly respected and esteemed figures
A distinguished nurse, teacher, researcher and historian, John was educated at Aylesbury Grammar School and graduated from Selwyn College, Cambridge, with a degree in theological and religious studies.
John started his nurse training in 1976 at St George’s Hospital in London, on the two-year experimental state registered nurse (SRN) course for graduates.
Known affectionately as ‘Mr Adams’ by the school of nursing, ward staff and students alike, he was always cheerful, charming and diligent, with a dry wit that endeared him to everyone.
Life of scholarship
From his first job...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests