Better ways to manage patient frailty
Caring for frail older people is the core business of acute hospitals - improve care for them and you can improve it for everyone
With those aged 65-plus accounting for more than half of all admissions and three quarters of bed days in NHS hospitals, improving care for frail older people is a significant challenge for health services. Now a report published by the NHS Benchmarking Network combines financial, workforce, quality and outcome data for the first time, painting a detailed picture of what’s happening in acute hospital care for older people.
Among the central findings of the report into services in England and Wales is that only a little over four in ten hospital organisations have a specific frailty unit in place, yet almost half of older people admitted to a specialist ward have a condition associated with frailty.Expert ...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests