Beyond the expected
Joan Pons Laplana’s nursing career has not been linear, which perhaps befits a man who believes in ‘horizontal power’ and challenges hierarchy.
The signs were there 20 years ago when, studying for a degree in critical care in Barcelona, his role model was maverick TV paediatrician Doug Ross, from the series ER.
‘I do not like routine – I like to be challenged. I thought A&E was the thing for me. I wanted to be the next George Clooney,’ he says.
Having come to England to work, it was this rebellious spirit that led Joan to a decision that turned his approach to nursing upside down.
‘I liked my job, but I would not say it was my passion. Patients weren’t my focus. I was more interested...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests