I joined NHS Blood and Transplant as a specialist nurse in organ donation in 2012. Having spent my career working in critical care, organ donation was not a new concept for me, but in this specialist role I offer families the opportunity to donate their loved ones’ organs at the end of their life.
It always amazes me that people find the strength to be so selfless and courageous, thinking of others at such a difficult time.
At East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust in Blackburn, I began working with the local council and the community group One Voice to raise awareness of organ donation among the Asian population. Almost 25% of people waiting for a kidney transplant are black and minority ethnic (BME), but fewer than 2% of people on the organ donor register are...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests