When you think you’re a good organiser, but they think you’re just plain bossy
Steps you can take to ensure nurse colleagues don’t misread your good intentions
I vividly remember when my organisational skills were first highlighted to me. I was hanging out washing and a friend mentioned how organised I always was.
Up until that point I hadn’t really thought about it, but I had to agree – I like things to be in order.
Being highly organised is usually seen as a good trait, so secretly I was quite pleased. But as I soon came to realise, this isn’t always the case.
When your strength becomes a weakness
Many years ago, I worked as a staff nurse on a busy haematology ward. As with most wards, mornings were somewhat chaotic, but there is one particular morning I will never forget.
A more junior nurse was in charge, and part...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests