What to do if you make a medication error
You have a duty of candour if you make a professional error. Here's how to handle the situation
Picture the scene: it’s 1pm, you are tired and hungry. You have been on your feet since you walked onto the ward at 7.30am, yet you are barely halfway through your shift.
Once you complete the lunchtime medication round, you are hoping to grab a quick break. But then, just as you thought you were almost there, a sickening feeling washes over you.
You realise you have just given your patient the wrong medication. What you have been dreading since you entered nursing has happened – you have made a drug error.
Irrational thoughts are normal
When you first notice that you have...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests