Raising concerns: do the right thing
Saying nothing about poor care may seem like the easy option, but it isn’t. So get support, do the right thing and don’t be hard on yourself
I will never forget the clinical tutor who, after we had assisted an elderly lady to have a wash, asked me: ‘If this was your mum would you do anything differently?’ This became my motto throughout my training and guided me in one of the most challenging situations I encountered: that of witnessing and reporting care that I felt verged on negligent.
Scared of any potential repercussions, I raised my concerns through the protection of my nursing school. However, I also made a vow to myself that I would always stand up for patients, colleagues and anyone else who I thought was being mistreated, including...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests