Professional boundaries: when is friendly too friendly?
How to know where to draw the line between human warmth and over-sharing with patients – and why maintaining professional distance is essential for your career as well as your patient’s care
Forming therapeutic relationships with patients is an essential part of nursing practice, enabling the development of trust and respect and allowing patients to be treated with dignity.
As nurses, you will often see patients at their most vulnerable; their barriers will be down, and they may share intimate feelings or information with you.
What might seem like a friendly response may be professionally inappropriate
While sharing your own experiences or feelings is
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests