Practice-related feedback: Revalidation helped me in my role as a mentor
Feedback from a student reminded University of Edinburgh professor Tonks Fawcett of the importance of mentoring in many aspects of her job
When completing my first revalidation with the Nursing and Midwifery Council I was keen to include practice-related feedback on my role as a mentor. A career in education means I have taken the role of mentor in many guises. I greatly value it and have also come to realise how much it is valued by the person being mentored.
One of my five sources of feedback was a nurse I mentored at my university for the Edinburgh Teaching Awards. This is a route to become a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, which provides national recognition of commitment to professionalism in teaching and learning in higher education.
I used emails from this experienced nurse in...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests