How to beat the post-holiday blues
After a well-earned summer break, it can be hard to return to the nursing demands of early starts and long hours. Health coach Mandy Day-Calder offers advice on how to keep yourself motivated.
After your first few shifts and catching up with colleagues, you will usually get back into the swing of working life. But sometimes, especially if you have been nursing for a while and weathered many healthcare storms, you may feel a deeper sense of malaise for your work.
So what do you do if your lack of motivation is more than a case of the post-holidays blues?
First, don’t be too hard on yourself; nursing is tough and can take its toll mentally, physically and emotionally. Like athletes preparing for the Olympics, it is challenging to keep yourself motivated year after year.Acknowledging ...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests