Handling change at work and avoiding overload
How to maintain emotional balance in a new nursing role or challenging transition
Last week, I had a meltdown. I don’t mean just a few flaky moments, this was the real thing.
I was struggling with a virus and was overtired and overwhelmed. It felt like everything was spiralling out of control and at the centre of it all was useless little me.
Self-compassion was nowhere to be seen – my inner critic was fully in the driving seat.
What impacts our emotional equilibrium
Thankfully, a few doses of paracetamol and good night’s sleep later, a degree of emotional equilibrium was restored. But this ‘blip’ prompted me to reflect on the previous few months in the hope that I could gain insight into what made me ‘tip over’.
At the end of the summer, I took over...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests