Nurses divided over mandatory flu jab, and the right to refuse it
Leading doctors are calling for a debate on mandatory flu vaccinations for NHS staff, but many nurses are opposed, and a change in the law might be needed to enforce it
- Senior doctors want debate on mandatory flu vaccination before next winter
- RCN encourages nurses to have the jab but says they shouldn’t be forced
- Debate comes amid winter pressures, spike in flu patients in intensive care
Mandatory flu vaccinations for NHS staff have become the topic of a hot debate among nurses following suggestions by leading doctors of such a dramatic move on the issue.
NHS England medical director Sir Bruce Keogh and England’s chief medical officer...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests