Flexible retirement from the NHS: what are nurses’ options?
There are more ways to retire than a once-and-for-all break with your career, your colleagues and your salary. Find out how you can ease the transition
How many nurses are nearing retirement age?
Almost one in five (16%) of nurses in England and Wales are aged 55 or over, according to the National Audit Office’s report on the NHS nursing workforce , published in March 2020.
This rises to 19% in mental health trusts, 23% in community providers, and 35% of nurses working in primary care.
According to the audit office report, training body Health Education England estimated some
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests