NHS set to save lives and money in new safety era
Strategy aimed at pulling existing NHS safety systems together to improve care over coming decade
- Safety and training framework to cover 1.3 million staff across 350 different roles
- Maternity, neonatal, mental health, falls prevention and medicines safety targeted
- Strategy could save around 1,000 lives and £100 million in care costs a year
Better patient safety has been a major concern for the NHS and the government for years.
The focus on the issue has led to new safety alert systems, detailed guidance on everything from sepsis to falls prevention and dedicated campaigns in high-risk areas such as maternity care.
a year is spent on treatment relating to mistakes
Source: NHS Patient Safety Strategy
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Management
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests